THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Horse and Home

It's been quite some time since I've not been able to fall asleep.

This is of course something for which I am incredibly grateful considering how much I enjoy the occasionally rested feeling I get from sleeping a full night.

Tonight, however, seems to have slipped away from me like a wild horse too quick to be harnessed. It's 6am and here I am in the living room with the company of a single lightbulb and far too many thoughts.

In the two years since climbing on that airplane and utterly dismantling my life at large I've been known to have quite a few 6am moments like this. The primary difference (which I am all too happy to report) is that, in the past, these moments have been riddled with an insurmountable worry. For the moment I am in total calm despite the still present worrying (what can I say, it's in my blood).

While I think of the need to find an apartment, to make more money, to save for bigger and better adventures I am finally permitted to look around and love the life I have. There is love, there is joy, there is chance and spontaneity, there is art and there is freedom.

Truthfully, I couldn't ask for more without beginning to feel like a glutton.

Sure, there will always be more that a part of me will want. That's my role as a middle class white boy. However I am now in an authoritative place of dominion over that wanting. The roles have switched and I am now holding the reigns.

So while the black horse of a restful night's sleep may be off and away, at least I know that the steed of contentment stands loyally by my side.

0 comments: