THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, January 22, 2010

The first day I awoke in a new city

Having spent a large amount of today exploring my present living space I'm obliged to say I feel incredibly lucky.
The three floor, three bedroom, brick-faced apartment is so full of character and detail. From the creaking hardwood floors to the cascading fountain-style bathtub. Let's not forget the rooftop access and the constant activity just out the front door.

I had my first taste of New York coffee today...


...and it was sadly terrible.
But terrible in the charred, acidic way that reminds me it's not Portland which reminds me that I love Portland which reminds me that I'm setting out to do something new and unfamiliar which reminds me that I am on fire right now!

I met Alana, my friend Drew's roommate (and thus my temporary roommate), and have decided that she is fantastic. An Israeli New Jersey Jew, Alana has beautiful dark hair and clever eyes along with sultry voice and apparent intelligence. In other words, she is exactly the kind of girl I would be drawn to in any random social setting yet I have the good fortune of residing with her for the next couple of weeks.
And since she hadn't had the time to make key copies prior to my arrival I was obliged to stick around the apartment today so I wouldn't have to leave the door unlocked for the duration of my absence. One can never be too careful about such things. Thus while she was at work today I took the liberty of building her recently purchased IKEA furniture. It helped to calm my wanderlust just long enough to allow me the presence of mind required to talk to Eva, Carrie, Michelle, Lucie, and Taylor without seeming like a caged animal.

Already I am beginning to feel the energy of this busy, busy place seeping into my skin and curling my hair even tighter than before. There always seems to be some kind of motion, some kind of new sound, sight, smell, taste, or touch.
And I am intoxicated by all of them.

The weather was so lovely today: sunshine and a brisk chill without a hint of bitterness.

I sat out on the rooftop for awhile and enjoyed the bright rays, the cool invigoration, and the constantly banking flocks of pigeons weaving to and fro amongst the buildings. It was as if they felt compelled to follow the streets even without the moor of gravity as a tether.

Tomorrow I will getting my own set of keys and thus I'll be able to venture further from the apartment.
This I am looking forward to quite incredibly.

As for now, I have just finished my first slices of New York pizza and I have to agree, it's just better here (sorry Rocco).

I believe Alana is going to take me to one of her favorite beer bars shortly so I shall be signing off a bit early.

But here's to a more adventurous tomorrow.

0 comments: